sábado, 19 de noviembre de 2016

dear trump



DEAR MR TRUMP,


A few days back, I came home frustrated, sad and disappointed. My twin sister saw me, and our weird and awesome connection allowed her to know right away what was wrong. ¨I don't think he will win¨, she told me. I felt anger rush through my body, as I knew I had no control over this or my life in this country. I felt like crying, as it seemed so surreal that a candidate like Trump was the last candidate standing in the republican party, and now my life depended in this election. I was so frustrated as I felt turning 18 was supposed to be my moment. To not longer live in the shadows, to raise my voice, to finally be be free. Yet, my dreams could easily fade away with only one guy in the presidency. I was angry, but most importantly, I was tired of living this way.    

That same night, Karla (my sister) wrote a poem for me and for all the Undocumented community. Her poem portrayed the constant immigrant and undocumented struggle in the anglo American society and it truly opened my eyes about the power we hold as undocumented. The poem was originally written in spanish but was translated with the best of our abilities.

Hombre rubio de ojos mar,
Porque me exiges marchar si lo único que quiero es progresar.

Hombre pálido como la nieve y crespo como el trigo,
Porque me odias como una victima,
Si aqui otro es el herido.

Hombre con boca de espada y corazon de escudo,
Porque me niegas un lugar que desde el principio no fue tuyo.

Hombre de niebla espesa,
Porque me impides quedarme si yo no cruce para robarte.

Hombre de pecera de oro,
Porque me dices que te quito cuando te enriqueces con tus mitos.

Hombre,
Hombre no eres, corazon no tienes.
Yo no vine a matar y menos a violar,
Más necesidad me trajo a trabajar
Y empezar como una hormiga ante tu pedestal.

Y ahora que vas a ganar,
Me hace sollozar, por la falta de oportunidad.
Y ver que tal esperanza se rompió en pedazos
por hombre que nunca cambio,
Mas creo un rebaño.

Man with golden hair and sea eyes,
Why do you force me to leave, if all I want is to succeed.

Man white as the snow, and frizzy hair as straw,
Why do you hate me as the victim
If I am the one wounded here.

Man with mouth of sword and heart of shield,
Why do you deny me a place that was never your own.

Man made of thick fog,
Why do you deny me to stay, if I didn't cross to steal nor rape

Man in a golden fishbowl
Why do you tell me I impoverish you,
when you enrich out of my work and myths

Man,
Man you are not, heart you don't have.
I didn't come here to kill, neither to rape,
Thus necessity brought me here to work,
And as a ant to build your throne

Now that you seem to win,
It makes me want to weep,
For the lack of opportunity
And hope shattered into pieces,
by a man who never changed,
But created a herd


When Karla read her poem to me, I was speechless. Not only by the message, but the ability of her words to change perspectives and give a voice to those in the shadows. She reminded me of how strong our voices can become. For many years, I stayed angry at the fact they took away our vote, yet my sister taught me that writing and speech was the voice of the oppressed. Thus, anyone would never take away our determination, resilience,and drive to keep moving forward.  Although the undocumented community will continue to face challenges to raise our voices, we have a stronger voice than anyone, because we know what it's like to have it taken away from us. I realized now that although I wish I had the opportunity to vote, it does not mean I do not have a voice. I can still inspire others through my writing and words to vote and continue to change mindsets of those around me.  As this poem inspired me,  I hope it works as a reminder for you to take action and ask yourself how are you using your voice. If you can vote, then vote, because you use your vote as a voice of 11 million people. If you cannot vote, then raise your voice higher, protest, be informed, and use your words as the weapons that will change the world. I know this elections will bring the best and worst in people, yet I see it as an opportunity to keep organizing, be active in our community and finally raise our voice.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario